Google
Miss Pressley: Bringing You Up-to-Date

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Bringing You Up-to-Date

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything! I was busy preparing for the OldPreMeds Conference in Arlington, Virginia.

The conference was absolutely wonderful! Kudos to the organizers because they did a great job! This was the 6th Annual OldPreMeds Conference, but it was the first one I've attended. I joined the online group about a year or so ago. OldPreMeds (the official name is the National Society of NonTraditional PreMedical and Medical Students) is an organization dedicated to people who have decided to pursue medicine as a career. The conference was held from June 8 through June 11.

I was only able to attend the full day on Saturday, June 10 and only picked up bits and pieces from Friday. I stayed over Friday and Saturday nights and had a ball meeting people and hanging out! I won two T-Shirts, an Exam Krackers study set, an A&P textbook, a USMLE study set at the raffle (I think that was it...). Boy, that was fun!

The OPM board members were inspiring, helpful, knowledgeable, intelligent, accommodating, considerate, hospitable, gracious and friendly. Ditto for the presenters/speakers! I learned more about the process to become a physician, as well as options available. Thank you Dr. Natale, Dr. Dave, Dr. Babin, Dr. Cook, Dr. Geoff, Dr. Renard, Dr. Wilson and if I've forgotten anyone, I sincerely apologize.

I'd like to now send a shout out to Stephanie, Ramona, Ardelia, Alana, Cheryl, Dr. Charlene, Lin, Hilary, Asentewa, Silvia and everyone else I met at the conference (I'm sorry I've forgotten your names)! These ladies are moving toward their dream to become physicians. They are all in varying degrees/levels of the process! Their stories are unique and special and I was glad to have met every one of them! They were from as far away as Los Angeles to as close as Washington, D.C.! If there was a question in my mind about whether or not I could do this, it's gone now! I believe I can do this!

I've inquired of Dr. Charlene and Judy Colwell for their opinions on my pre-req path. And, while I wait for their responses, I have requested transcripts be sent to the unversity in my area with a post-bacc program. I'm also in the process of applying to the university.

I am encouraged and happy with my decision to begin this process - looks like I'm in it for the long haul!

BTW - the conference is in Chicago next year. The location has yet to be determined. I plan to attend that one as well!

No comments:

Blog Archive