Google
Miss Pressley: What an Evening...

Sunday, November 05, 2006

What an Evening...

As I've mentioned earlier in my posts, I am a registered respiratory therapist by trade. I've worked in the field for 13 years. I currently work PRN at an LTAC (long term acute care) in my area. This is by no means the first time I've encountered a situation like this (believe me, I can tell you a few things!)...

I was performing a vent check, suction, etc., on a patient while the family was in the room. A member of the family proceeded to ask me, "...when can they take that out?". He was referring to the trach tube. I began to explain about the purpose of the ventilator and how we would need to consider many things before weaning his loved one, so forth and so on. I spent, all told, about an hour with them. Not necessarily my job, per se, but I felt they needed to talk about their situation, and believe me, they did...

Their story was one of heartbreak because of the condition of their loved one. I was touched by their dilemma because I could relate. They questioned whether or not their loved one was feeling any pain, whether or not there was any suffering; what would happen if the vent was removed - would he/she suffocate; how could this happen; why did it happen; what decisions should be made concerning treatment... Why doesn't God just take her and get it over with...?

They were told by the physicians there is no hope and frankly, from all appearances and the medical record, I concur. The tragedy, in my mind, is, that no one spent any quality time with them to allow questions and concerns to be aired. They really have alot of concerns... The guilt of making a decision to withdraw support from your loved one, or to limit or restrict treatment for your loved one - both decisions ultimately leading to the demise of your loved one - can be overwhelming. Again, I know from experience.

I shared a moment with them explaining how I felt when I made the decision to not have my daughter intubated and ventilated when she was dying. The barrage of emotions against the logic and reality of her physical condition was exhausting. Yet, as I share with everyone at this time, I am now convinced I made the right decision - for her. The decision was a painful one. But, it had to be made. That's what I shared with my patient's family tonight.

I also told them to make sure they seek help from their clergyman or a grief counselor if needed. And, to seek help from their family physician as well. It just doesn't pay to wait before getting help. I encouraged them to continue to seek support and guidance from the doctor taking care of their loved one, telling them to not be afraid to ask questions, etc.

My heart goes out to them as they try to make the funeral arrangements, to finally say "goodbye", and to pick up the painful pieces of their loss and move on. They were kind of enough to say "thank you" to me for listening to them. We all hugged and they left for the night.

No comments:

Blog Archive